Why we have a Code of Conduct
Being a high-performing company is not only about performance, goals and achievement. It is also about how we behave towards each other and the world around us. We want to be a trusted partner – to our customers, shareholders and colleagues, and to our Business Partners and the communities where we operate. Our business depends on this trust and we are committed to conducting our business in a responsible, ethical and lawful manner. The Code of Conduct is the foundation of our corporate culture and sets out high standards of integrity on how we do business. Everyone in Telenor must follow these standards. We make decisions every day that can influence our reputation. An uninformed decision, even made with best intentions, can damage our reputation.
The Code Principles set out the core requirements for our conduct in Telenor. The Code Sections include specific requirements and guidance for critical risk areas. The Code of Conduct helps us all make informed decisions and explains where to go for more information and guidance.
The Code Principles form the foundation of our ethical culture and define the core of our business conduct.
We play by the rules
We follow laws, regulations and our policies and, if in conflict, we uphold the highest standard
We are accountable for our actions
We actively seek information, understand our responsibilities, and recognize our wider impact on the societies in which we operate
We are transparent and honest
We are open and truthful with our challenges
We speak up
We ask questions when in doubt and raise concerns without concern of retaliation
Who has to follow the Code
The Code of Conduct applies to all employees and everyone acting on behalf of Telenor, including the Board of Directors. We expect our vendors, suppliers, contractors and other Business Partners to commit to and uphold the same high ethical standards that we follow ourselves.
How to use the Code
The four Code Principles and specific requirements contained in the Code Sections form our basic obligations. Additional requirements in our Policies and Manuals must also be understood and followed. At the end of each Section of the Code you will find links to applicable Policies and Manuals as well as links to available guidelines, practical tools, training material and other helpful resources.
The Code sets clear requirements to manage our day-to-day operations and to guide us when we are confronted with challenges and ethical dilemmas. You may always contact your line manager or the Compliance Function when you have questions or concerns. You may also seek advice using the Integrity Hotline, anonymously if you would like.
The Code cannot cover every dilemma or situation we will face in our business. There will continue to be business challenges and uncertain legal and regulatory developments. In such cases, we are not relieved from the obligation to uphold the highest ethical standard, but we should seek guidance to help us make the right decision. Further to setting out our own ethical standards, the Code Principles require us to comply with applicable laws and regulations. You should always familiarize yourself with the laws where you operate and seek guidance from the Legal Function if you have questions.
What is expected from us as employees
As an employee of Telenor, you are expected to:
- Always act with high integrity
- Read, understand and follow the Code, Policies and Manuals
- Raise issues of concern as described under the section “How to Speak Up”
- Seek to attend training in a timely manner
- Know when and how to seek further guidance
- Cooperate fully and transparently in all compliance investigations
- Avoid any practices that may be unlawful, unethical or harm Telenor’s reputation
What is expected from our leaders
Leaders in Telenor are not only expected to follow the requirements above, but are also expected to:
- Live the “Tone from the Top” and communicate regularly on the importance of compliance
- Identify and anticipate business compliance risk areas that affect your teams’ operations
- Proactively identify actions that will mitigate compliance risks
- Ensure that teams are sufficiently trained and prepared to deal with relevant dilemmas and provide guidance where necessary
- Foster an environment of open reporting to ensure that all team members are comfortable raising concerns without concern of retaliation
- Use high standards of integrity as a criterion in recruitment and promotion processes
- Take an active part in the compliance process and governance in Telenor