This privacy notice applies to the processing of the personal information that we collect when you use any of our services, including any of our websites. Please read our privacy notice in conjunction with the Terms of Service of any particular service that you use, which may outline additional service-specific terms regarding the personal information we collect about you.
Our privacy notice explains what personal information we collect about you, why and how we collect and process it, and how we share it with others. It also explains the privacy rights that you have in relation to your personal information and how you can exercise these rights. The Telenor Group privacy notice will be implemented and put into motion in all of our operations during 2015.
Telenor’s Privacy Position can be summarized as follows:
- We are open about how we collect and use your personal information.
- We are committed to using your personal information to provide you with better and more relevant services.
- We always take steps to ensure that we keep your personal information safe and secure.
We believe that all our customers should enjoy the same standards of privacy protection. This is why we apply our key privacy principles in every country in which we operate, even if the local law sets lower standards of privacy protection. No matter where in the world we collect personal information about you, we will process it in accordance with the following key principles:
- We will process your personal information in accordance with this privacy notice and any applicable laws.
- We will tell you what personal information we collect about you, as well as why and how we collect and process it. There will be no surprises.
- We will only process your personal information for legitimate purposes and only for as long as it is necessary to achieve those purposes or for as long as we are otherwise required by applicable law to retain it.
- We will enable you to exercise choice and control over our processing of your personal information, not only when we are required to do so by applicable law, but also in other circumstances in which we think this is appropriate and technically feasible.
- We will respect the privacy rights that you have under applicable law, including your right to access the personal information that we hold about you, correct it and keep it up to date.
- We will implement appropriate security measures to keep your personal information safe and secure.
We will take steps to ensure that your personal information is adequately protected no matter where in the world we process it.
The Telenor company that provides you with service(s) (that you use) is legally responsible for ensuring that your personal information is processed in accordance with our key privacy principles, this privacy notice and applicable Law.
The Telenor entity that provides you with the service(s) that you normally use determines the purposes for and means by which your personal information is processed. Therefore this entity acts as the “data controller”, as defined under EU laws, and is legally responsible for ensuring that your personal information is processed in accordance with our key privacy principles, this privacy notice and applicable law.
When we share your personal information with another group company, in accordance with the section on “How we share and disclose your personal information” below, the group company with which we share your personal information may also determine the purposes for and the means by which your personal information is processed and be legally responsible for ensuring that the personal information that has been shared with it is processed in accordance with our key privacy principles, this privacy notice and applicable.
Telenor has various ways to collect the personal information that we are referring to in this privacy notice. Most of the time, the information is obtained when you use our services, or it is information that you’ve given us in the course of the relationship we’ve had with you. From time to time, we may also receive information from other parties on your behalf. In general, we will only do this in order to improve your experience, and only when you’ve expressly permitted it.
We collect personal information about you in three ways:
- information that you provide to us, for instance when you subscribe for our services
- information that we collect automatically when you use our services
- information that we may obtain about you from third parties
We explain below what personal information we typically collect about you in these three ways.
For some of our services, for example financial, music or video conferencing services, it may be necessary to collect additional personal information about you, and/or collect personal information in other ways and/or for purposes that are specific to that service. In such cases, our relevant Terms of Service explain the service-specific personal information processing activities. When you subscribe for one of our services, you will have the opportunity to review the Terms of Service and will be asked to indicate that you accept them.
Telenor collects various bits of information about you. This information will vary depending on the services you use, but it will contain data about how you use our services, other users (or phones) you’ve interacted with, and your location in our network while using the services. We will also need to maintain information about your demographics and credit history.
When you sign up for one of our services or when you receive one of our services, you may provide us with certain personal information. This type of information may include:
- Your name, phone number, email address, postal address, date of birth, gender and other information you give us when registering to receive one of our services in a store, online or by phone.
- Credit or debit card information, bank account number and sort code or other banking or payment information, as well as amounts, dates and times of any payments that you make to us.
- Your preferences regarding the services that we provide. This will usually be collected through your service settings when setting up the service.
- Information about your customer account with us, for example, the type of contract you hold with us, any service you have subscribed to, and any dates of payment owed and received.
- Records of your contact with us, for example a customer note or recording of a call you make to one of our contact centres, an email or letter you send to us, information about any customer support requests that you make or any feedback that you provide to us.
- Information about our communications with you, for example any customer support requests that you make or any feedback that you provide to us.
- The contact information that you provide to us if you choose to receive news and updates from us.
- The contact information and other information, such as demographic information about you and your household, that you provide to us when you agree to participate in one of our competitions, prize drawings, research surveys or consumer panels or other shared feedback given to us regarding our products or services.
- Some of the services provided on our websites, such as appear.in or online.no, require you to have an online account with us. If you want to set up an account, we will ask you to share certain personal information, such as your name, phone number and email address, and to create a unique password for your account. Generally, these services enable you to have a registered owner, an individual responsible for making payments and one or more users. If you choose to let others, such as members of your family, use your account, you should ask them to read this privacy notice.
When you use our services, we will automatically collect certain information about you and your device. The information that we collect automatically will vary depending on the service and the device that you are using to access and/or benefit from our service.
We will collect information about the type of device and software that you use to access our services, for instance, whether you use an iPhone or Samsung phone, and what operating system is running on your device.
When you use our telecommunication services, we automatically collect information about your communications, including:
- the phone numbers that you call/text or that call/text you
- the date and time of the calls and texts you send or receive
- the duration of calls received and made through our network
- your approximate location at the time these communications take place, as further explained in the section on location data
- your browsing information, as further explained in the section on cookies
- the level of service you receive from us
- When you visit one of our websites and/or use one of our online services, we collect information concerning your terminal equipment or device and your use of our online services. Such information usually includes:
- the IP address of your terminal equipment or device, such as your PC, laptop or smartphone
- information about your terminal equipment or device model and settings
- network information
- details of when, where and how you used the service.
- When you visit one of our websites and/or use one of our online services we may also collect the following information:
- log-in information
- browser type and version
- browser plug-in types and versions
- operating system and platform
- information about your visit including the websites from which you come to our website, the pages on our website that you visit, and the websites you visit from our website
- information about the services and products that you viewed or searched for on our website
- download errors
- length of visits to certain pages and how you interact with those pages
The information that we collect automatically when you use our websites and/or online services is collected through cookies and similar technologies. Click here to find out more about these technologies and why and how we use them.
We collect information when we link our digital services with the services of third parties, for instance when you have given us your consent and we integrate our service with social networks such as Facebook, Instagram or Twitter. Such information usually includes:
- Certain general information such as the information described above (including, for instance, information that you provide to us when you register for a service, information that we collect automatically when you use our services, such as IP address and information about your device, location information that we collect when you use location based services, and other information that you provide to us or which we collect on the basis of your consent or as permitted by applicable law)
- Certain service specific information, such as information that is necessary to enable us to link your Telenor log in credentials to the third party service log in credentials in a non-personally identifiable manner, to enable us to integrate our digital services with the services of those third parties
We sometimes collect personal information about you from third parties, in connection with services that we provide to you. We will do this only when you have given us your consent or when we are required or allowed to do so under applicable law.
For instance, when you purchase products or apply for service with us, we may obtain credit information about you from outside credit reporting agencies to help us with customer authentication and credit-related decisions. We also work closely with third parties (including, for example, business partners, sub-contractors, payment and delivery services, advertising networks, analytics providers, search information providers, credit reference agencies) and may receive information about you from them.
When you use your social media credentials to login to or otherwise interact with a Telenor webpage or offer, we may collect information about your social media profile, such as your interests, “likes” and friends list. You can control this data collection via the options made available by your social media service provider in your social media account.
We may combine the personal information that we receive from such other sources with personal information you give to us and information we automatically collect about you.
We collect information about your location in the following circumstances:
- When you use our telecommunications services. For instance, we collect the Cell ID, which is a piece of information concerning the location of your device on our network that reveals your approximate geographical location. We need to know your approximate location so that we can deliver mobile telecommunications services to you.
- When you use our location based services or you receive location based offers, and you have given us your consent to process your location data for those purposes. Depending on the location based service or offer that you use and your position within our network, we may use the Cell ID and/or location data generated by the Global Positioning System (GPS). GPS data reveals much more precise information about the geographical location of your device. For these purposes we may also use geo-fencing techniques to determine when your device enters a defined geographical area.
Your personal data is valuable and we would like to have some of that value be delivered back to you. Therefore, whenever we process data on your behalf we strive to add value to the services that you receive from us. Overall, that means that we’ll use it to bring you better and more relevant services, to tailor our messaging to you and similar.
We use your personal information to provide our services to you, to support and improve our services, to provide more personalised and relevant services, and to send communications about the services we provide to you.
We may also process your personal information in order to contact you from time to time with exciting news and offers, as further explained in the section on “How we use your personal information for marketing purposes” below.
We also use your personal information to:
- Manage your customer relationships with us, manage and fulfil your orders, send you invoices and purchase orders, and collect payment for our services
- Communicate with you about the services that we provide to you, send you notices about purchases and about errors in the service, and to respond to your queries and feedback
- Adjust the service according to your age, including the implementation of parental controls
- Provide you with an overview of the services and the parts of a service that you have been or are currently using, tell you about changes to our service and our Terms of Service, remind you about the benefits you enjoy as part of your service and advise you about how to use our service to ensure you get the best value out of it
- Make our services and communications more relevant to you, including by creating customer profiles, offering you personalised content and making recommendations that are relevant to you
- Monitor and record our communications with you and use that information for training purposes, quality assurance, record details about the products and services that you order from us or discuss with you your orders or the services you receive
- Administer our services for internal operations, including troubleshooting, network management and network optimisation, so that we can provide you and our other customers with a better customer experience
- Ensure that content from our websites is presented in the most effective manner for you and your devices so that you are able to make the most out of the services that you have subscribed to
- Measure and understand the effectiveness of advertising we serve to you and others, and to deliver relevant advertising to you
- Make suggestions and recommendations to you and other users of our services about products or services that may interest you or them
- Protect and keep our service and network secure and ensure security for you and our staff
- Investigate, prevent or take action regarding illegal activities and violations of our Terms of Service and/or applicable law
- Meet our legal and regulatory obligations
- To create aggregated statistics about our sales, services, customers, network traffic and location patterns, which we may provide to third parties. Such aggregated statistics do not include information that can personally identify you through the use of means that are likely reasonably to be used either by us or by any other person
- To research, monitor and analyse customer use of our network and services on an anonymous or personalised basis, in order to identify general trends, improve our understanding of our customers’ behaviours and partner with third parties to develop new services for our customers and personalise the services we offer to you
- Carry out a credit check in order to assess your application for a contract for telecommunications services
In many cases we aggregate and/or anonymise your personal information to an extent that it no longer identifies you. We process such aggregated and/or anonymised data for various purposes, including for research purposes and to help us understand our customers and how they use our services so that we can improve our services to provide a better customer experience or create new services.
From time to time, we will share your data with third parties, while ensuring your privacy. Usually this is done when they’re helping us to provide you with services, but we may from time to time also disclose it if we’ve received your authorization to do so, or if we’re legally required to do so. However, we will never sell your data to another party without first asking you for permission and only if it could benefit you as a customer.
Telenor will use the information we have so that we can send offers that we think will be of interest. If you do not want us to do this, let us know and we’ll stop sending you these messages.
We would like to increase the value you get from being a Telenor customer and provide you with more relevant information about products and services. Therefore, with your permission, we and selected third parties may use your personal information to send you marketing communications about products and services based on your preferences and interests. You have choice and can control how we use your personal information for marketing purposes. This means that we will obtain your consent before using your personal information for marketing purposes, when we are required by law to do this.
Please note that if you opt out, we will stop sending you marketing communications, but we will continue sending you communications that relate to the services that we provide to you.
We will not to hold onto your information for longer than we need to or as required by law.
Telenor works hard to keep your personal information safe. As one of the world’s major mobile operators, we have policies and processes in place internally that are designed to protect your privacy. Dedicated specialists who are dedicated to their work and your privacy drive our privacy program. We constantly review our practices on privacy throughout the Telenor Group and conduct training of the people involved in privacy related activities.
We have a network of privacy officers across our group companies. Their job is to ensure that the processing of your personal information will always comply with this privacy notice and applicable laws.
We have put in place appropriate technical and organisational security measures to protect your personal information from unauthorised access, collection, use, disclosure, copying, modification or disposal. Our specialist security teams review these security measures regularly.
When we use service providers or other data processors to process personal information on our behalf, we require them to follow our instructions and apply appropriate security measures to protect the personal information they process on our behalf.
When you log into your account to use our services with your phone number or username and password, all data is encrypted using cryptographic protocols designed to provide communications security such as Transport Layer Security (TLS) and Secure Socket Layer (SSL) encryption. We employ such cryptographic protocols on all pages on our websites where we collect personal information. To make purchases from these web pages, you must use a TLS or SSL-enabled browser such as Internet Explorer, Safari, Firefox, or Chrome. This ensures that your personal information remains confidential and is protected white it is transmitted over the Internet.
If you have a user name and password to access our services, you are responsible for keeping them secure and confidential. Where you have logged in to your account and have been inactive for some time, to keep your details secure and to protect your account from unauthorised access, we will automatically log you out of the account.
Telenor is an international company, and we will from time to time have people and systems in countries other than your local market working with your personal data. No matter where we send your data, we’ll treat your data with the same amount of care that you expect from us locally.
Our telecommunications network is international and we operate in 13 countries. Furthermore, the Internet is a truly global environment. We also use partners and service providers in several other countries and the technical infrastructure (such as the servers) that we and/or our partners and service providers use to provide certain services (such as our digital services) may be located in countries outside the country in which you normally use our services.
This means that we may transfer your personal information to countries outside the country in which you normally use our services and outside of the European Economic Area (EEA) so it can be processed in a central location. Such countries may not provide the same level of protection as the country where you normally use our services, so when we process personal information internationally, we take appropriate steps to ensure that your personal information is adequately protected. Typically, such steps include carrying out data security reviews of any recipients and putting in place contracts with such recipients.
You will always have the right to find out exactly what data we have stored on your behalf, and to ask us to correct or delete data which may be inaccurate.
You have certain rights in relation to the personal information that we hold about you. We have in place measures and processes to enable you to exercise your rights and ensure that we can fulfil your requests concerning the personal information that we hold about you.
We will enable you to access the personal information that we hold about you as required by applicable law. In countries in which there is no such requirement, where it is technically feasible, we will enable you to have reasonable and proportionate access to the personal information that we hold about you. If you wish to access and receive a copy of the personal information that we hold about you, please contact the Telenor company that provides you with your service. Before we are able to respond to your request, we may ask you to prove your identity and to provide further details about your request. We will respond to your request within an appropriate timeframe and, in any event, within any timescales required by applicable law.
In addition, you can also access most of the personal information that you provide to us via your online account at any time, to obtain a copy and to correct, amend, or delete information that is inaccurate. You can also close your account altogether.
We will do our best to ensure that the personal information we hold about you is correct, complete and accurate. However, it is your responsibility to ensure that you provide us true, accurate and complete information, and that you keep information on your online account up to date.
As a general rule, our services are not aimed at children under the age of 13, and we do not intentionally collect data about them. If we find out that a user is underage and their data should not be collected, we will delete it as soon as we can. We do, of course, have some services targeted towards younger users. We’ll let you know in these services exactly how we’re protecting the relevant data, but we’ll make sure each of these services sticks to our guiding principles.