Reading Time: 3 minutes
The GSMA has elected new members of its Board of Directors for the next two years. The GSMA Board comprises the world’s largest telecommunications operator groups and smaller independent operators with global reach.
Telenor Group has been on the GSMA Board since it was constituted in 2003.
Announcing the new members, GSMA Director General, Mats Granryd said: “We thank the GSMA Board for its exceptional support during what has been a challenging year. The Board’s insight, direction and support were integral as we navigated difficult decisions. There has never been a more crucial moment for the mobile ecosystem to work together, unlocking the full power of connectivity so that people, industry and society thrive.”
Acceleration of the digital agenda
Today’s re-election is Sigve Brekke’s third consecutive term on the Board as CEO of Telenor Group.
“Covid 19 has accelerated the digital agenda years in the space of just months. Throughout this, the GSMA has been and will continue to be a vital voice for the mobile industry to ensure that we empower societies and keep people connected to what matters most,” says Sigve Brekke, President and CEO of Telenor Group.
Brekke will also continue as the Chair of the GSMA Foundation Board for the next term (2021-2022).
The GSMA is a global organisation unifying the mobile industry. Their efforts are dedicated across three areas: industry knowledge, technological advancements and human progress. This is done by bringing people together, sharing trusted expertise and curating marketplaces for buyers and sellers.
GSMA Board Members for the 2021-2022 Term
There are 26 members of the GSMA Board. Members include senior representatives from global mobile operators. The GSMA Board for the 2021-2022 term includes:
- Stéphane Richard, Chairman and CEO, Orange Group
- Juan Carlos Archila, EVP International Affairs, América Móvil
- Susan Johnson, Executive Vice President, Global Connections and Supply Chain, AT&T
- Izzaddin Idris, Executive Director/ Deputy Group CEO, Axiata
- Gopal Vittal, CEO, Bharti Airtel Group
- Gao Tongqing, Executive Vice President, China Mobile
- Liu Guiqing, Executive Vice President, China Telecom
- Mai Yanzhou, Senior Vice President, China Unicom
- Dominique Leroy, Board Member for Europe, Deutsche Telekom Group
- Mats Granryd, Director General, GSMA
- Christian Salbaing, Deputy Chairman, Europe, CK Hutchison
- Makoto Takahashi, CEO, KDDI
- Hyeonmo Ku, President and CEO, KT
- Ralph Mupita, Group President and CEO, MTN
- Alexey Kornya, President and CEO, MTS
- Motoyuki Ii, President and CEO, NTT DOCOMO (incoming)
- Mathew Oommen, President and Member of the Board of Directors, Reliance Jio
- Yuen Kuan Moon, Group CEO (from 1st Jan 2021), Singtel
- Nasser Al Nasser, Group CEO, STC
- Luigi Gubitosi, CEO and General Manager, Telecom Italia
- Julio Linares López, Member of the Board of Telefonica Companies, Telefonica Group
- Sigve Brekke, President and CEO, Telenor Group
- Andrew Penn, Group CEO, Telstra
- Kaan Terzioğlu, Group Co-CEO, VEON
- Rima Qureshi, Executive Vice President and Chief Strategy Officer, Verizon
- Ahmed Essam, Chief Commercial Operations and Strategy Officer, Vodafone Group
About the GSMA
The GSMA represents the interests of mobile operators worldwide, uniting more than 750 operators and nearly 400 companies in the broader mobile ecosystem, including handset and device makers, software companies, equipment providers and internet companies, as well as organisations in adjacent industry sectors. For more information, please visit the GSMA corporate website at www.gsma.com. Follow the GSMA on Twitter: @GSMA.
About Telenor Group
Telenor Group is a leading telecommunications company across the Nordics and Asia with 180 million customers and annual sales of around USD 12 billion (2019). We are committed to responsible business conduct and driven by the ambition of empowering societies. Connectivity has been Telenor’s domain for more than 160 years, and our purpose is to connect our customers to what matters most.