Our Goal in AI
Telenor intends to become a data-driven company, where AI/ML capabilities will be an asset, and ultimately, create a competitive advantage. AI could be used for optimizing network operations, automating customer interactions, personalizing marketing and sales campaigns. This is a change of focus that our company must embrace, which also requires a fundamentally new approach to Data Management. Our ambition is to strengthen AI and advanced data analysis both in core business and by taking new positions, such as within IoT where there are considerable growth opportunities and the global giants are not dominant. Our AI competence lies in the research department, the global marketing department and in our operations, especially Norway, Sweden, Thailand and Pakistan.
AI in Norway
A national strategy will establish the level of ambition, direction and mobilize for action. The strategy is necessary for Norway to compete where we have traditionally been strong, but also to be able to share the value creation represented by artificial intelligence. The elements that are missing today and which should be in place in a national strategy are:
- Raising the basic competencies in mathematics, programming and engineering
- Establish infrastructure for sharing data for research use, stimulate business development and innovation
- Developing strong ethical standards for artificial intelligence people can count on
- Regulations that safeguard privacy while allowing research and business development.
We believe that these elements are so fundamental and at the same time so resourceful that Norway will not succeed in this field if we do not get a national strategy and a concerted national effort on artificial intelligence.
Find out more about our role in shaping the future of AI in Norway
AI in Europe
Telenor Group also supports EU efforts to create an AI strategy for Europe and mobilise national research, innovation and business communities in AI/ML and Big Data. Building strong AI innovation ecosystems is important for boosting competitiveness and sustainable development in Europe. A special emphasis should be placed on access and sharing of large volumes of data within and across industry verticals and national borders in Europe and Asia to enable scalable AI.
Find out our role in shaping the future of AI in Europe
Connect with us to shape the future of AI
- Bjørn Taale Sandberg (SVP, Head of Telenor Research), Bjorn-Taale.Sandberg@telenor.com
- Ieva Martinkaneite (VP Telenor Research, member of European Commission High Level Expert group on AI), Ieva.Martinkenaite@telenor.com
- Astrid Undheim (VP Telenor Research, Head of analytics & AI group), email@example.com