In a rapidly growing market for telecommunications services, Telenor aims to strengthen its leading global position by making strategic changes to its organisational structure.
Firstly, Telenor will ramp up its focus on delivering an always-on experience through innovation within internet-based services. Telenor is meeting the increased competition from both old and new market players with aggressive innovation efforts that leverage the company’s world class network technologies and market position and knowledge. In a future dominated by smartphones and new devices communicating via high-speed networks, Telenor is uniquely positioned. The Digital Services unit will be established and headed by Executive Vice President (EVP) Kristin Skogen Lund.
Furthermore, Telenor will leverage the combined clout of its global footprint and technology leadership to drive industrialisation and nurture operational excellence. Over the last decade, Telenor has built one of the largest customer bases in the world. With cross-market streamlining and capturing synergies in how to operate across the group, Telenor can significantly increase the value it provides to its 130 million mobile customers in 11 countries. Telenor Group Industrial Development will be established and headed by EVP Hilde Tonne.
“The organisational changes are designed to improve Telenor’s ability to innovate in and execute upon the vast opportunities and challenges we see emerge on the telecom horizon. Building on our core competencies and unique positions, we aim to further energize employees in the Telenor Group worldwide. As a company that is built around people, our strategic opportunity is to empower our employees to make a difference – in their local market as well as globally,” says Jon Fredrik Baksaas, President and CEO, Telenor Group.
“We are already in motion. Telenor’s Corporate Development unit, managed by Morten Karlsen Sørby, has spent the last three years developing a platform for global innovation and industrialisation. Today’s organisational changes will further build upon these efforts,” says Jon Fredrik Baksaas.
“At the core of our organisational alignment to these challenges, are three key appointments in the Group Executive Management: Hilde Tonne will spearhead our industrialisation efforts across markets and business areas, Kristin Skogen Lund will drive innovation and new business and Berit Svendsen will head up the strategically important home market of Norway,” says Jon Fredrik Baksaas.
To align the organization to the strategy, the Telenor has decided to:
- Establish a new unit – Digital Services – that will develop Telenor’s position in the emerging internet-based ecosystem. The unit will be headed by Kristin Skogen Lund, continuing as a member of Group Executive Management (GEM). Telenor Next and new initiatives like Comoyo are included in this unit.
- Establish a new unit – Group Industrial Development – that will drive continuous operational efficiency, cross market streamlining and other synergies and innovate in core business offerings. The unit will be headed by Hilde Tonne, who will be a new member of the GEM.
- In this phase, include the CEO of Telenor Norway in GEM, given Telenor’s unique position in Norway with the co-location between Group management and the business unit. Berit Svendsen will take the position as EVP and CEO in Telenor Norway, reporting to the Telenor Group CEO.
- Establish a new unit – Corporate Strategy and Regulatory Affairs, reporting to the Telenor Group CEO. Morten Karlsen Sørby will head this unit and continue as GEM member.
- Telenor in Denmark and Sweden, as well as Telenor Broadcast, will continue to report to Kristin Skogen Lund.
The former CEO of Telenor Norway, Ragnar Kårhus, will take on the responsibility for cross border initiatives within the new Group Industrial Development unit.
“I would also take the opportunity to thank Ragnar Kårhus for his significant contributions in the role as CEO of Telenor Norway since 2007. He will play a vital role as part of the group industrialization efforts in the years to come,” says Jon Fredrik Baksaas.
Scott Engebrigtsen, Communication Manager
Mobile: +47 900 43 484, E-mail: email@example.com
Pål Kvalheim, Senior Vice President, Group Communications
Mobile: +4797044970, E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org